
When I think of all the opportunities Nick has had to develop his multiple talents, I feel sorry that I was never able to give D & S exposure to all those different interests when they were little boys. Among the reasons I could not do this was 1)We lived in rural Maine where such opportunities did not abound, 2)we struggled along living from minimum-wage-paycheck to minimum-wage-paycheck, 3)we had unreliable cars 4)there were two boys rather than one, so all I could manage was the lower-level mothering basics, such as keeping them from killing each other during non-stop fighting marathons, 5)by necessity, I was often away from the house slinging hash at the Waterville Steak House and would have been too tired to drive them to their music lessons, had such a thing been available 6)they were both too hyperactive to focus on anything productive. I did the best I could with what I had at the time. Just plain survival was the focus, not enrichment for the children, unfortunately. Nevertheless, in spite of me, D & S are bright, funny, and interesting people with talents that weren't cultivated in formal training. I'm glad, however, that Nicky has the chance to be a famous musician.
No comments:
Post a Comment