Sunday, November 21, 2010
First Sunday of Thanksgiving vacation
High on the list of things that I'm thankful for is the week-long vacation the school system gave us. I always feel deliriously happy for the respite from daily tension.
Yesterday, Liberto and I went to Verizon to get our phones upgraded for the trip overseas, having heard a horror story on the local news about a woman who received a $30,000 cell phone bill after a trip abroad. Those darn roaming charges! We decided to get smart phones with wi fi systems so that we can contact each other by phone, if need be, without the horrendous cost.
We also shopped for new luggage after taking inventory of what we have. Many of the el cheapo bags that we bought years ago have seen better days. We've traveled a lot in the past 25 years, both by car and by plane: If I tallied up the trips, I would say that traveling has been more important to us than fancy furniture (or luggage). Not counting trips within Georgia, such as lots of visits with Roger and Debbie in Atlanta, we (or I alone) have been to California (where we got married), as well as two more trips to California for me to attend conferences; three or four trips to Maine, several to Chicago, at least three times to Phoenix, an AP reading in Nebraska, a long weekend trip to Asheville, N.C., three times to Toronto, many runs up to Vermont when Dad was alive and when Diana lived there; England (a glorious, never-to-be forgotten trip! The Queen Mother's limosine drove by us, not ten feet away, at St. James!) the Netherlands (I'll never forget touring Anne Frank's house), annual trips to Venezuela, Florida, Washington D.C.(many times), Nova Scotia, St. Marten (a trip with Diana), and other ones I've probably forgotten. The older luggage we own has earned its right to retire.
We also went to see The Next Three Days. I love prison-escape movies, and this one was perfect. Russell Crowe's character's wife is falsely accused of murder and gets life in prison, with no more appeals. The story is about the husband's method of planning and orchestrating her escape. I liked the three-hour length, although Liberto thought it was too long, because we could examine every detail of the escape plan as it unfolded.
I've also been working with Paul to help him write a major literary analysis on the play Wit, by Margaret Edson. I see nothing wrong with showing him how to find good critical articles through Galileo and helping him to determine a thesis for the paper. In fact, it's fun. This afternoon, we're going to the Jepson Center for an art display. Paul also has an art project due which requires visits to three different museums. While we're in Washington next week, we hope to visit the National Art Gallery, which is always a pleasure anyway.
We're flying to Dulles on Tuesday evening and will have the pleasure of spending a few days with Derek, Erin, and Nicky! Put that at the top of my Thankful List.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment