Sunday, June 13, 2010

Searing hot Sunday


I just returned from the daily trip to Food Lion. The unbearable heat hung thickly in the air. It was predicted to be in the high nineties today. No doubt, a thunderstorm is on its way, now that it's late afternoon. The sky is already darkening. Good! I love storms. Love the pounding of the rain on the roof and windows, love to look outside and see the fish and frogs dancing excitedly in the splashing pond.

The week in review: On Tuesday morning, Shawn left for Ft. Campbell, Kentucky. This time, he's allowed to have a vehicle on the base, so he took off in his car that has been parked in our driveway for almost a year. I assume he got there okay because the next day, I noticed one of his postings on Facebook. On Thursday, I started grading the June SAT's, and have been doing that daily. The grading window continues for at least another week. I see this as one of my post-retirement careers, so I try to accept every offer they make.

Paul is finishing his Associates Degree in drafting this month. He and I talked about it this week and we decided he would apply to transfer to Armstrong for a four-year degree in Health care. First, I told him it would give me peace of mind for my old age if he could have a degree in a field that would be almost certain to land a job. In this economy, the opportunities for drafting are as minimal as most other fields, but health care is far more promising. Second, I can't help but remember how patient and kind he was when tending to Pete in his last weeks. Paul may not be an extrovert, but he has a tremendous capacity for compassion. Third, many of his drafting courses will transfer. The two fields don't appear to be related, but oddly, health care requires a fair amount of math, and he's already taken some tough math courses through the drafting program, as well as psychology. This week, he received a Certificate from Central Georgia Tech acknowledging his high G.P.A. I've been impressed with how focused and responsible he has been with all his colleges courses, always studying hard, always getting assignments ready before the deadlines. I told him if he wanted to, he could still be a drafter in the future if the market opens up because he has the Associates degree, and nothing will change that, but if he adds a health care degree, such as nursing, onto that, he will have more choices. Thus, he applied to Armstrong this week and started the paperwork, such as transcript requests.

Derek and family returned from Cozumel last weekend. I would love to post the link to his photos from that trip, which he emailed to me on the Facebook chat room, but I can't find it in my computer's history or on facebook. It looked like they were having a beautiful time---how could one not, in lovely Cozumel?

Between SAT's, laundry, Food Lion runs, a little writing, the gym, and household business, I've been reading Matterhorn, by Karl Marlantes. It puts the reader right into the jungle of Viet Nam during the war. And of course, I've been watching my housing shows. This ongoing interest must be inspired by envy. I'm always excited watching couples tour their three final housing choices, usually all gorgeous, often overseas in exotic places, and then make their final selection. I also love watching Designed to Sell. Surely it is envy. It's all I can do to keep up with the basics in this very basic house, let alone remodel in the ways their team can do. Our next big step will be to put hardwood floors in the living room and bedroom, but that will be a major project because Liberto will insist on doing it himself, as he did with the the t.v. room and hallway.

No comments: