Saturday, October 24, 2009

Just when you think you've seen it all. . .




Before the incident on Wednesday, my student P. had already been in ISS and 0SS several times this semester. I've heard rumors that the administration is watching him closely because of past drug issues. He's one of those flamboyant students who sucks all the energy out of the room when he enters. Posturing his way to his seat, he can't resist making a commotion or commenting loudly on someone's outfit. His last write-up from me was for leaving the classroom to "use the bathroom" in the foyer of the portable, but never returning because he slipped through the adjacent empty classroom and out the door.

On Wednesday, he left the classroom "to use the bathroom." Because of his recent behavior, my teacher radar was on high alert. Five or seven minutes later, I sensed he had been gone too long. I usually don't question students' personal bathroom needs---believe me, they come back to class and share details that no one wants to hear!---but with P's track record, I sensed something was up. I decided to wait a few more minutes before resorting to pounding on the door, so I passed back papers that students would need for our pending visit to the computer lab.

That's when I noticed that Brittany was missing! I had her paper ín my hand, ready to pass it back. She had been in class. Now she was missing. Oh, so busted!

I pounded on the bathroom door. An incomprehensible grunt was the only response. While the other students excitedly looked on, giddy with the possibilities, I stood outside the bathroom door, arms folded, waiting.

Sound of toilet flushing. The door swung open and P. brushed rudely by me, slamming the door closed behind him. I marched to the bathroom, pulled open the door, and saw nothing in the darkened room. So I stepped in, and looked around the corner which cannot be seen from the outside. Brittany was cowering in the corner. That's one rule I forgot to put on the syllabus: Do not do the deed in the restroom during class time.

To date, Brittany has been a quiet, well-behaved girl who gets good grades and has plans for the future. Oh, shades of being 14! How easy it is to forget everything rational when falling under the spell of a smooth-talking, self-assured, 16-year-old gang member wannabe!

P. swaggered back into the classroom declaring, "I hope they send me to the alternative school!" The other students were mesmerized by the whole drama. One sweet, naive little girl in my class, who may have Asperberger's, asked me innocently, "Why were they both in there? What were they doing?" When the bell rang, the other students lost no time in spreading the story through the school.

After receiving my electronic write-up that day, the AP stopped by to ask more questions. How long had they been gone? Did I knock on the door? Did they respond? Would I please write up a formal statement for them?

The next day, neither P. nor Brittany were in school. Brittany was awarded 5 days OSS. I believe she'd never been in trouble before. P., on the other hand, is on OSS but I suspect OSS-pending-expulsion. I would not be upset if he did not return. There are too many students filling up classrooms who do not want to be there and who create havoc for those who want to learn. Why does the system continue to keep them? Every class, I have one or two who command all my attention just for being bad. The quiet ones get neglected. As you can see, I'm growing burned out by the few rude, loud, boorish students who inhabit my classes. This semester, I happen to have a disproportionate number of bad seeds. What a terrible attitude for a teacher. But you'd have to meet them. I thought I could keep my sense of humor enough to get through a few more years of this, but now I'm wondering if I can do it.

I haven't written in the blog for awhile because I am burned out. I get up at 5:15 each day, now that school begins at 7:40 a.m. We teachers are supposed to sign in by 7:30 a.m., whether we have a first block class or not. I have first block planning, during which I'm photocopying, grading, meeting with parents, or entering grades on PowerTeacher, followed by three 90-minute classes in a row. I get 25 minutes during 3rd block to gulp down a few bites before the kids return from lunch. After school, if I'm not going to the house of my homebound student (which is a bright spot because he is a smart, eager to learn, well-behaved gem of a student), there is either a faculty meeting, a parent meeting, students making up missed tests, or some type of school duty. On the way home, I stop at the store nearly every day for some crucial missing item that we've run out of (voice mail message: "Mom, we're out of coffee creamer!"). When I arrive home, Paul wants to go over his coursework with me and get my input on his answers, essays, etc., so we work together, and of course, I want to help him; that's the teacher in me. Finally, between printing more materials for tomorrow's class from my own printer, reading ahead, grading, etc., it's now 9 o'clock. I treat myself to a few minutes of Larry King before falling asleep and repeating the same thing the next day! Yes, I am burned out. Liberto is burned out too, but at least he has evenings and weekends to regroup. He doesn't have to bring work home with him... well, only in his mind, which is just as annoying, I guess.


Now that I've vented, I'll look at the bright side: 1) we're past the mid-point of the semester and heading towards the finish line. At least with my profession, I get to have a beginning, middle, and end. Then a brand new beginning! 2) Next semester, I have third block planning, so I get a break in the middle of the day and maybe some lunch. I also have one 11th grade class, which I want to believe will be more mature than a ninth grade class. Maybe by 11th grade they've gotten over throwing spit balls and stuffing the toilet with papertowels. 3) I'm grateful to have a job in a bad economy. 4)Next weekend is our friend C.G's annual Halloween party, which we've been attending for years. I could dress up as...a crabby English teacher. Prop: A giant red pen!

I know I talk too much about work in my blogs, but right now the daily grind overshadows everything else. Still hoping for that winning Fantasy Five.

No comments: