
On Tuesday night, Paul dialed zealously and got nothing but a busy signal for four hours. He's a loyal voter for American Idol candidates, but on finale night, he was squeezed out by the other 100 million voters who got through. How many millions more couldn't cast votes?
I liked Kris' voice and musical style from the start. Danny was a favorite of mine, and of course, who could not like Adam? However, I didn't always love all of his presentations. It's not just the vocals that sway listeners; it's the entire package. Simon commented after one of Adam's performances that it reminded him of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
On Thursday, I received the following text message from Diana:
"I was SO happy (and surprised) when Kris won American Idol! You could have knocked me over with a feather. I was clapping and jumping up and down! What a talented and sweet guy. He totally deserves it. I also liked Adam and am sure he will do VERY well also. Alison, too."
I replied: "There've been rumors that Adam's gayness may have been a factor, but I disagree. Maybe homophobics object to that orientation in other circumstances, but if produces music that we like, how much do people care about the artist's orientation? Has anyone stopped listening to Elton John because he's gay?"
Diana responded: "I suppose there might have been some homophobia among the evangelicals, but I assume there were also some people who voted for him BECAUSE he was gay. I liked Kris better for other reasons and I'm not homophobic. More likely to me was that Simon (and some others) seems to favor Adam so obviously from the beginning that it began to be annoying and seem unfair to the rest. So some people might have reacted and voted for others instead. Also, maybe a lot of Danny's fans switched to Kris after he was eliminated. Adam is a real star-- but Kris seemed more musically talented....He played the piano, the guitar, was adorably handsome and had a great voice. In sum, while there may have been some homophobia out there, I don't think that that's why Kris won. There were plenty of people who just liked him better (like we did), and it didn't have as much to do with Adam's homosexuality as with his screeching style, etc. I actually liked Adam too and recognize his talent for rock kind of stuff. I just like the other kind of music better."
I agree with her.
Last night, the Idols were guests on Larry King. The issue of homophobia was raised. Larry asked Adam if he'd lost because of his orientation. Adam said no, that any lifestyle issues were far lower on the list of voters' priorities than factors such as their singing, their song interpretation and originality, and the sum total of who they are as guys, the orientation being just one of many parts to the whole.
* * * *
Yesterday afternoon, as soon as the last students were shooed out of the school, the front office played Handel's Messiah over the intercom.
HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!
It's nice to have an administration with a sense of humor.
Yes, the school year is over. I scantroned the final exams and entered the grades. I have a few more essays to finish up, but the crush is over. I have to attend graduation this afternoon. Then the family and I will go to see the new Terminator movie. I was introduced to the first Terminator in the summer of '86. It had come out a few years earlier, but that summer, when Derek and Shawn were with us in Louisana, and I was pregnant with Paul and too heavy and hot to do anything exciting with them, they would walk to the nearby 7-11 every day and rent that movie. Then they'd jump out at each other, imitating the Governator's voice, crying, "Sawah Connah? (sound of machine gun)." Curious about who this Sawah Connah was, I eventually watched it with them, and I liked it. The third sequel, this afternoon's entertainment, is probably awful---the second sequel wasn't so hot and they usually go downhill---but I'm game.
It's been raining for days. Shawn says it's becoming just like Maine. We've also had some cold snaps. The Northerners among us would laugh to hear what I think is cold, but with high winds, temperatures in the fifties can be uncomfortable. I had bus ramp duty this past week, which involves standing outside for forty minutes while the students get on their buses. With the wind howling, and my hair blowing in all directions, it was cold. Really. I'm not kidding.
I'm so excited to have a three-day weekend with just a tad of school related paperwork. Next week, the three teacher workdays are easy and stress-free. I've even heard that one should bring a book.
No comments:
Post a Comment