Saturday, March 28, 2009
Reminder of how long the old girl has been at it
Last Monday night, my new Valic advisor came to the house. I wanted a face-to-face conference to review the pro's and con's of launching my stock-based retirement. The lock-in feature I auspiciously signed up for in July 2007 assures that the 5% will be based on the pre-Crash amount, rather than the pathetic face value. My feeling was, why not start taking it now? I'm old enough,and with the market in the shape it's in, the face value will never re-reach the lock-in value. Why not use the money now, while I'm still working? We can stockpile it now. Anyway, the man began to review my working history. I mentioned having worked at Georgia Southern for years. He stared at me for a moment, and then broke into a smile. "I think I had you for English! I was at Southern in '91, and took a World Lit class with you. I still remember Beowulf and Song of Roland! I really enjoyed that class!" 1991, my third year at Southern. Eighteen years ago! To be honest, I wasn't sure I remembered him. That was about five-thousand students ago. But I was tickled that he remembered me and even liked the class. I also experienced the Rip Van Winkle Effect, the shock wave that ripples through one when one is reminded of how much time has passed.
After school on Thursday, I decided to pull down the "Most Dangerous Game" movie posters and replace them with the schmaltzy Romeo and Juliet cards created by last semester's students. They had been assigned to find any poetic quotation from R & J, copy it onto the front of a construction paper greeting card, and write a cute modern-day punch-line inside. The current class is reading R & J, so the cards would be timely. As I stapled them onto the bulletin board, I read the punch-lines. One of them jokingly mentioned a "couple" in last semester's class: Wesley and Stephanie. Again, the Effect. Wesley and Stephanie and all the other students from last semester suddenly seemed so far, far back in time; yet the school year has not stopped feeling new to me. But it's not so new anymore. The students' state-mandated End of Course test is April 27 and 28, just a month from now. The school year ends May 22 (with a few teacher planning days after that). I look forward to summer, to renew myself. I'm excited to realize it's sooner than I thought.
An unexpected fiasco occurred at the School Board meeting last month. Some newly elected Board members voted to retire the Superintendent, much to everyone's surprise. Gossip has it that the parents in the county wanted a Supt. who was more sports-supportive. This morning, an article in the newspaper said that her contract buy-out would cost around $200,000, including the paid vacation days, and the Acting Supt. was quoted as saying that "we'll probably have to fire about 18 teachers to pay for this!" Naturally, I worry.
L. is doing very well in his job. His evaluation was superior, so he is to receive the full bonus that city employees get. Despite his back pains, he gives 110% to the job, and fortunately, this is recognized by the powers that be. When L. oversees a project and the project is completed, he has a tangible park or road to show for it. It's hardly the same in teaching. Every day, I can give my 110% but have no idea whether I've made any impact.
That's why I love encounters with people like the Valic man!
Paul has been on spring break this week. Shawn continues to work at A.C. Moore, but is feeling discontent with his supervisor and the way she runs the store.
The television has just issued a tornado watch for the rest of the day.The weather forecast predicted thunderstorms all day. Right now, the weather looks fine to me. In fact, I wish it would thunder furiously. It makes me feel cozy when I'm inside on the couch watching the rain splash down outside.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment