
Feb. 27: On Monday, a barely noticeable link appeared on the district website announcing voluntary transfer forms: just link here! The on-line form opened in front of me, and my fingers tore up the keyboard typing in the names of my top three choices of schools to transfer to. It was finished in five minutes. Then with a final click, I shot it off to the downtown office. There. Now for the next month, I can stew about the uncertainty and wonder whether a change of schools will be in my future.
L. insists that my school has the most difficult students in town, and that another population can only be better. A new coach at the school who's been teaching across the country for the past 26 swears the students here are the worst he's seen in his career. So a change of school can only be good, right? However, what if I change schools and have to take on 9th or 10th graders? Maybe "good" ninth or 10th graders are a handful compared to my current seniors, who are noisy but basically decent and not too horribly behaved. They've made it this far and don't want to blow it now.
What about colleagues? I know a few people at my current school and feel comfortable with them, though not intimate. I'll have to learn to try to fit in again with a new group. Imagine if the new colleagues at the new school are cold, mean, rude, and obnoxious?
What if the distance to the restroom at another school is even longer than the half a mile trek that I face now?
What if my new classroom is on a busy hallway with even more annoying noise and interruptions than I have now on my isolated second floor room in a separate wing?
What if I end up with a worse schedule?
What if I go to all the trouble of moving to a new school, and it's no different, or it's worse?
But those are the chances anyone takes with any prospective job change.
Right now I'm too exhausted to think, so I'd better close now.
No comments:
Post a Comment