Friday, December 21, 2007

Ah, the pleasure of a day off


Dec. 21: Yesterday was the last day of school before the very brief break---it gets shorter every year. What a sweet treat to sleep past the usual 5:20 alarm all the way till 6:15 on a weekday. Pete had to be at the vet's at 7:30 for his first dental surgery. For a dog his age, his teeth have been in excellent health, but the plaque is building up. When I got to the kitchen and looked out the glass door, I could see that it was pouring buckets, and the fish pond level was almost overflowing the banks. I got drenched outside as I scooped a few large buckets of water out of the pond, but it was like trying to drain the ocean with a teaspoon. It was still dark, so I went back inside hoping the koi would have sense enough to stay deep below until it got light enough for me to go back and drain water by turning the pump/fountain on its side to shoot the water stream onto the grass. Coffee and the newspaper. So nice not to rush. I drove Pete to the vet's. He's always excited about going there and greets the employees with panting excitement. When I returned, it was light enough to drain some pond water.

That taken care of it, it was time for my big treat of the day. About a year and a half ago, my son D. and his wife gave me a gift card to a spa in Savannah, and I'd never used it. Always too busy, with the long hours, and the piles of papers. A week ago, as the holiday break pended, I decided it was high time I cashed in the gift card, so called and booked an appointment for a haircut. I have a regular hairdresser I go to for cuts and color, but going to a spa stylist would be something special. It was still raining as I drove downtown. Sections of road were under water, too deep to drive through, so I took some detours, but finally got to E. Oglethorpe, where the spa is located. The place is ultra sweet-smelling and tranquil. Soft, slow music. A goblet of spring water as refreshment. One closed off room for haircuts, unlike my regular hairdresser's, where all the clients are lined up together, heads covered with foils and dyes. At the spa, the hairdresser, named Fadima, I think, was quiet and classy, and best of all, she gave me a lovely cut, with a slightly different interpretation as the other stylist.

My next stop was Barnes and Noble at Oglethorpe, where I bought the book The Namesake. Now, at home, the day has meandered on, as I attempt to pick up clutter, do laundry, watch corny Lifetime movies, and enjoy the time off. Tomorrow night, we're meeting Mark and Terry for dinner at the Indian restaurant, Sunday morning, we're taking the five or six yearbook students who have designed the pages so far, for a thank-you breakfast at IHOP, and Sunday night, S. is arriving from Phoenix to stay a few days. By then, I should be on a vacation sleep cycle such that I can manage to stay up till 11:30 p.m. when his plane arrives. L. is leaving for Venezuela next Thursday, to stay a few weeks.

I'm not ready for Christmas. Until yesterday afternoon when I drove away from the school, I hadn't had time to think about anything except keeping up with the curriculum, juggling papers, and containing the emotional aftermaths from the never-ending dramas. It's like treading water in the ocean during a storm. You can't just relax and forget about it, or you'd be swept under. As of this moment, I haven't even purchased gift cards to send to my son and daughter-in-law. Obviously, even if I do that today, they won't arrive on time. I managed to whip off three Christmas cards this morning, but may never get past that. I'm too tired. I just want to sit in this chair in the television room, drink coffee, and watch Lifetime movies. Glancing out the glass kitchen doors in the distance, I can see the sun lighting up the back yard trees.

No comments: